Several of my recent clients (my current one included) have both avoided, failed or just not used Virtual Machine (VM) templates. Depending on who you ask the answer to the question “Why Not?” seems to vary between:
- “I didn’t know that you could do that”
- “We couldn’t make it work”
- “It was too complicated to setup”
- “We haven’t had the time yet”
- “All of our new VMs are different”
After some convincing I have persuaded my current client to let me configure sysprep and a couple of templates for them. I’ve done this a few times before but never really documented it. Admitedly a lot of this is already documented in the Basic Admin Guide for vCenter but this post saves downloading a PDF file.